Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 21, 2010

SUMMER IN DEOGHAR, JHARKHAND, INDIA

SUMMER  TIME...........

Living in India especially  during its summer season  is perhaps the worst thing that ever happened to me.

Here are some of my unforgettable experiences:
Today,  April 2, 2010, we 3 volunteers are placed  in a very nice office, a newly constructed building.However, what do you expect!!!since  we occupy the topmost floor,  it’s like  a huge furnace, a glass furnace  where  glass bottles are manufactured…and we are the bottles  or  the simplest  similarity is an oven--- we are the cakes or breads being baked...hahahaha....this is one of the severe tests to measure your PATIENCE!!!!

I prefer to stay in the old building but what can we do!!!! We have no more space to stay in that office. But if you ask me…I can rearrange the old  office  and definitely all of us   can fit in. It is also a waste of money renting this  very hot place since  almost everyday there are only  about 4 of us staying  here  while the other staff are all in the field.

Life  in India …is no joke….it’s a total sacrifice!!!!  With the heat alone…..i bet....if  someone who has no passion for the kind of  job  you  are in or you have no personal reason why you have to stay in India…then you will  not survive.

But  it's amazing that  I've completed the 2  summer cycles-- 2009 and 2010!!!! whewwww...I'm congratulating myself for that...

To describe how it is ---- Deoghar is like a big oven---- this is not an exaggeration!!!!! In my flat  I sleep at night almost bare..nothing on, sweating a lot  --- the ceiling fan is not enough-- you just go to sleep sweating  and enjoy the hot bed - beside me is my Johnson's baby powder and towel to dry me up everytime i wake up due to severe sweating and  unbearable heat--- you will only cry.

My most terrible experience in Deoghar was in the summer of 2009 since my first flat  was not  provided by any power inverter nor  any power generator--- so i have to settle  for  totally no electricity during power  off  for  at least  more than 10 times-- i cannot count how often for the entire day. But at night , i can vividly remember how often--- it's like at least 3-4  times  and  each power off  lasts   for  2-3 hours.


I had this very uncomfortable  experience because the flat that my organization  contracted before i arrived was located on the topmost floor. It's a 2-storey house  and on top of my ceiling is already the house rooftop. The house is made of  Indian bricks...all made of stones and no  part of   walls  are made of  wood  except of course  the doors plus my house is directly facing west - where  the sunsets.


I  made some solutions how to  address this very hot  condition. Every morning, before I leave home for the office , I put my towel and clothes for the evening  inside my fridge so that  when I get home and have  shower , i can use cold towel to damp my body and clothes cold  enough to  sooth my mind and body even for about 10 minutes.
For my 3rd flat, still  so sorry for  me-- as  I cannot afford to have  airconditioning unit - even if  I  want  to buy one-- I will not be allowed -- it's useless--- since the power provider voltage  cannot handle an AC--- only allowed to use at least 3 fans and  my  fridge is off everytime the power  goes on and off at night  and switched to  the power inverter.

Not to forget-- in 2009 - hot weather started from  April until September ( almost  half of the year ) and in 2010- hot weather started earlier - in the middle of March and until  September.  Actually, months of  August and September are supposed to be monsoon  season -- however the rain is so scarce but humidity is too high!!!! You will almost wish to stay in your bathroom  the entire night as  the temperature goes up to 48 degrees !!!

The first thing  i did when  i had my vacation in the Philippines last December 2009 was to buy a  rechargeable fan and lantern.



 my first month in Deoghar...no rechargeable fan/ lantern yet..just candles  during power off at night....
my first flat in Deoghar....a 2-storey house--- my flat is at the 2nd floor  facing the sunset...






No comments:

Post a Comment